Welcome!

Welcome to Plum Creek Traditions: dedicated to getting back to a simpler life!

Saturday, August 27, 2011

Recycle fun with coffee cans!


So while looking at one of my favorite blogs www.totallytarget.com, I noticed that she had a post for a Folders coffee promotion. Well, I was digging around on Folders' website and found that they have a new "can decorator". Now in my family, we use Folders coffee cans for EVERYTHING, but they make really good storage cans. So, how excited was I that they had a specific can decorator program. I got even more excited when I saw that they have different labels for each holiday or ones that you can make on your own. This would be prefect for making seasonal craft containers.

Making seasonal craft containers with Folders coffee cans:
What you'll need:
1 or more plastic plastic Folders coffee cans (29.2/27.8-ounce or 33.9-ounce) washed and dried
Adhesive ( I really recommend Mod Podge since it is also a varnish, but rubber cement works too!)
Sand paper
Printer paper
Scissors (to cut out the labels)
And your labels that you create here: http://www.folgers.com/promotions/can-decorator.aspx

Start by collecting some Folders coffee cans, wash the cans really good and let them dry. If you don't have any I'm sure you know someone who does. Now, go to the can label creator and pick the label for the holiday cans you want to create (the labels come in the two biggest sizes, and make sure you pick the correct sized label). The best part of this program is that you can decide if you want the label to say something or if you want to leave off the text and just print out the basic label. Since the labels are soooo cute on their own and thanks to it having a seasonal theme, I decided to just leave the text off of mine. The labels will be shaped just perfectly to fit over the preexisting Folders can labels, so once the labels on, it will look like it was made that way.

Once you get your labels printed, go head and attach them to each canister. Since this is something you want to last for a while, or at least through the multiple reorganizations that you, if you are like me, will inevitably do throughout the year, I suggest using rubber cement or mod podge. To get a more lasting adhesive, you’ll definitely want to use some sand paper to “rough up” the surface of the coffee can just enough to give the glue something to hold on to.

If you are using rubber cement, brush the cement on the can where the label will be placed and also over the back of the label. Make sure to get the corners and the edges, otherwise the label will start peeling up on the edges. Then place the label on the can and position it. I like to press down in the center and then work your way out to the edges, getting all of the air bubbles out and smoothing any creases. Then let it dry.

If you are using mod podge, use a clean paint brush or foam brush and then use it basically the same way as you would the rubber cement. Once you get the label in place and smoothed out, you can apply a light layer over the top of the label to give it a nice finish. It will dry clear and act as a varnish. Then if you really want it to look nice, once it drys wet sand it (wet your sand paper) with fine grade sand paper and do an extra layer of mod podge. I am a newbie to mod podge, but I am in LOVE! You can use it on anything and not only is it an adhesive but it’s also a sealant/varnish!!! It is so easy to work with, gives a professional finish, and did I mention it dries clear so if you make a mistake no one will know. =)

I tried this for myself twice. Once using photo paper (thinking I was going to be super fancy) and once using plain old printer paper. Guess what?! The plain old printer paper work much better and turned out so much nicer. So definitely go with the cheaper paper. The photo paper ink started coming off almost immediately and the edge of the paper didn't want to lay down. Now you may be thinking what I was, "But I want it to have a glossy finish"....but if you use Mod Podge get the glossy finish, and it will look photo quality when it dries. The halloween bucket was done using photo paper and I photographed the only side that turned out decent. The Snowman bucket is the one I used plain old FANTASTIC printer paper. I think that this one turned out amazing and I only spent a few minutes doing it as opposed to the 20 minutes I spent on the photo paper trying to get the edges to lay down.






(This one is my favorite. This is already looks fantastic and it still has some drying time. I will definitely be redoing the halloween bucket.)

Once the cans are dry, you can fill them will craft items specific to each holiday. This is so great because then you can throw put them out in the garage on a shelf, and when a holiday is coming up, you'll be able to go out and instantly recognize the one you are looking for without having to open EVERY container to find out where in the world you put those darn halloween stickers!

Don't forget there is also an option to design your own label from scratch, which means that you could use the same idea in your kids' rooms and make it match their decor. These cans are great for diecast cars, art supplies, hair accessories, etc..., and since they are plastic they are perfect for kids' rooms.

Best part of all, you are recycling these cans and keeping our landfills clear of plastic! Also, it doesn't hurt that you don't have to pay one cent for that coffee canister that you are getting ready to throw away anyways!

(I have not been compensated in ANYWAY or even been asked to do this by Folders. I saw the can label creator and thought this would be a good idea. Thanks Folders for the awesome home design tool!)

No comments:

Post a Comment